Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Moving In
I called the housing office this morning and they said I could move in today! I just have to pay $10 for the extra night...which is much less expensive than the motel. When I went to do the room check, my roommate was sleeping so I was as quiet as I could be. I finally knocked on her door so that she would wake up and not be more scared if she had woken up on her own to find us there. She just said to close her door and she went back to sleep. Turns out the room is furnished unlike what I had been told by someone one the phone form the housing office...I'm thinking they meant unfurnished as in no sheet or towels.
So mom and I moved my stuff into my new apartment and I put a few things away. Then we went shopping to get some things I need. There's actually quite a selection of stores in Logan so I shouldn't have any trouble finding stuff when I need/want it. In addition to Wal-Mart, there's Kohl's, JCPenney, K-Mart, Sports Authority, Al's Sporting Goods, Barnes and Noble, Petsmart, etc. There's a couple supermarkets/grocery stores as well (Smith's and Albertson's). Not to mention all of the fast food places, restaurants, car places, etc., etc. Basically, Logan is bigger than Oneonta but not too big like Syracuse. We also figured out today that we accidentally burned my bike tire. My bike was mounted on the back of the Subaru and the front tire must have been too low and too close to the exhaust. So the tire melted/burned through to the tube. At least we figured out that it really wasn't the brakes that smelled on the trip, it was the bike tire. I knew that the brakes didn't smell but couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. Mystery solved.
My roommate is Jennifer from Brigham City (about a half hour west on the other side of some mountains). She is working on her 2nd bachelor's in Special Ed as her first was in Music but that's not what she really wants to do. I figured out that she's about my brother's age - 26 or 27. She belongs to the LDS Church (Mormon) and went on a mission to Spain (which generally last a total of 2 years w/ training and the actual mission). In approximately another 1.5 years, she'll have her 2nd degree (which amounts to 2 bachelor's in 7.5 or 8 years I think she said...5 years for first BS). She's pretty nice and seems clean so even though I don't think we have that much in common, we'll get along fine. I'm just glad she's not conceited or super-religious (so far). Perhaps I'll give an update when I know her better.
Ahh...it's nice to finally be able to move in and start to get settled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home