Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Family
Today my mom and I visited some family outside of Salt Lake City. It seems that even when I'm in a different state or country, I have family (blood or not) nearby. My mom's cousin Heidi, her husband David, and their kids moved out to Stansbury Park/Tooele, Utah a year ago. Plus, my great Aunt Pat and Uncle Ted (Heidi's parent's) moved out there this spring. It took us about 1:50 to get there and it was a pity that we couldn't stay longer. However, during the time we had, we caught up on family news stuff, drove up a canyon and mountain to where we could see the Bigham Copper Mine (largest in the world!), and enjoyed eachothers company. I also go to hold Duma (Swahili for leopard), a 6 week-old kitten they had just found on Friday. He even dozed on my lap for awhile...too bad I can't have any pets in my apartment. I'll just have to go visit the McMillans who have (now) 3 cats and 2 dogs. :-)

There are 4 McMillan kids: Sam (antha) - senior, Ellie - Sophomore, Ian - 7th grade(?), and Ati (Alastair) - 5th grade(?). Ati asked me questions non-stop and talked a lot...mom said he could give Wes a run for his money when it comes to talking a lot...lol. Ian gave me a tour of the house as his younger brother's tour consisted of sitting in a chair and pointing in the general direction as he announced the different areas. Sam talked a little about college as she is currently trying to figure out where to go...I believe her list is down to 14 schools. She is looking to run for a college and has been scouted by a few schools (I don't know how many or which ones but she is a very good runner...just like both of her parents who ran in college). Unfortunately, Ellie was not having a good day and Ati tended to provoke her so I did not get to spend much time with her...guess there's always next time.

I would be amiss if I did not mention the McMillan house that was recently finished. Basically, I could not have designed a more functional, beautiful, and relaxing house...definitely need to get the name of the architect. The house is relatively open between the kitchen, living room, dining room, and entry way. On the main floor are the previous areas as well as a laundry room with lockers for everyone, David's office (w/ bathroom), the boys' bedrooms w/ a bathroom in between, the parents' room w/ a large bathroom, and a library w/ the computer (an alcove off the hall). Upstairs is an open loft above the office and from which you can look down into the living room and dining room. There isn't more of an upstairs because, just like in the South, it gets too hot and heat rises. Downstairs was a large workout/TV/video game room (below the kitchen & living room), the guest room (where Aunt Pat and Uncle Ted are living till their house is built), and the girls' room w/ a bathroom inbetween. A climbing wall outside is in the works. I'm not sure if the house is a timber frame but there is a lot of wood and the kids' rooms are very colorfully painted according to their tastes. In addition to the wood, there are a plethora of windows to take advantage of the heating of the sun. A solar panel "sunflower" tracks the sun (using the excitation of argon) to provide some of the power. Other power comes from something else and I will have to amend this later when I remember or am told what it is. The water is also heated naturally if I am not mistaken. The kitchen table is huge (9ft I think), has a free bench on one side and a bench built into the wall on the other side, and was shipped from Africa (David is from South Africa...has the cool accent too). The kitchen also has 2 sinks and 2 ovens...1 big and 1 small for each. There's a warming rack too where you can put a plate (or more) for someone if they are going to be late and they can have a warm meal when they get there. Oh yeah, and they definitely have a kickin intercom that can play a CD or the radio. This house is amazing.

So before we left, I jumped on the trampoline with the boys...or more correctly off a ladder onto the trampoline. We had fun and didn't get hurt...I was too chicken to do anything bold though as I'm not very experienced on trampolines and it'd been awhile since I'd been on one. I also saw how the boys had adapted to the environment: Ati started throwing "dust bombs" at us that Ian and I tried to avoid being hit with. It's so dry that the dirt had solidified into dirt clumps just like you will occasionally find on top of a topsoil pile during a hot, dry summer day. The ground was also hard but smooth so it was fun running around barefoot through the sunflowers (which somehow thrive).

Then we said our good-byes, I was invited to come anytime that I want including meeting them for mountain biking next Sunday at Alta, and I dropped my mom off at the airport before driving "home" to Logan. Family is great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home