Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Science
Some people think I'm crazy because I love Science. Well, I'm crazy but it's not for that reason. Today our Small Watershed Hydrology class did a lab out in the field. We drove to Spawn Creek near Temple Fork (where I went mountain biking) and took some stream measurements. To measure the discharge of the stream, we used two different methods so we could compare them. It was so great to be outside on a nice day (not in the basement lab with no windows) and playing around, I mean diligently working, around and in a stream. Even though I only had my hiking boots and gaitors on (not waders), I still went in the stream and took velocity measurements along the width of the channel. Actually, I placed the instrument and others in my group read the data and recorded it. I got wet but was still warm due to the amazing capabilities of wool. It's days and events like this that make science so incredible and fulfilling...who couldn't love it? It's a hands on, down and dirty, intellectual yet manual area. English on the other hand...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home