Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Small World
My second Sunday of teaching CCD didn't actually involve teaching as a priest from NYC was in town for the parish retreat and he did some songs, etc. with the kids. I won't actually get to teach my kids until 30 October.
After the Newman mass, I went to the dinner social. This week was the faculty mixer so students could meet Catholic (read: non-Mormon) faculty that they could go see on campus. I met a few nice professors but it was one couple that really put me in shock.
I started talking with a professor who, like everyone else, asked where I did my undergrad work and where I was from (you know, generic questions). I told him and it turns out that he is from Syracuse and started at Oneonta but dropped out and finished at Potsdam. His wife is also from Syracuse and I met her a couple minutes later. The guy is a geology professor and the dean of Sciences, Don Fiesinger. His wife Janet had just gotten back from NY this morning and had actually been in little ol' Central Square on Saturday! Her parents (Francis and Bob Harris-who worked at Agway)had lived on CoRt 37 for some time before her dad died. Her mom remarried and lives in Camden now so Janet was in CS filling her mother's prescription at, where else, Wal-Mart. I was in total shock tonight. I mean, what are the chances of meeting people in Utah that have so many connections to places in your own life a couple time zones away? Apparently pretty good... Oh and their daughter's name is also Amanda...fancy that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home