Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Weather
I thought the weather in NY is highly variable until today. We had rain this morning, sun, thunder, and of course some decent hail. It was crazy but neat. It was nice when I went to the Farmer's Market even though a bit cool. Then while I was watching the women's soccer game, there was thunder and hail. Despite the conditions, the refs allowed play to continue...I can't believe they didn't stop it when there was some really loud thunder and there was no doubt that it was thunder (aka you couldn't pretend it was a loud truck/plane/etc.).

In the evening I went to the football game against UofU (University of Utah). It was fun even though I probably could have played as well as our team. We really are quite pathetic. I was surprised at one point when we actually caught the ball. There was a UofU guy in front of me who was w/ his USU friends and it was funny when he would make fun of our team...he was right but it was funny b/c he was doing it in our student section so he was surrounded by USU students. I found out that on first downs (of which we had a paltry few), the fans do a tomahawk chop in front of their bodies to the side (the same motion the ref uses) and yell "FIRST DOWN" after the announcer says, "It's another Aggie...". Cheesy but fun. I left at the beginning of the fourth quarter as it was rather chilly out, the game was getting boring, and I wanted to go see Superman Returns at the theater...which I did and it was great. I'm glad that I got to see it in the theater because it's so much better.

At some football game, I think that it would be a blast to get some people together and we can paint our stomachs and stand in the first row. If not a football game then a basketball game...especially since we actually have a good team (so I've heard) and it's warmer inside. I'll just have to gather some folks...like maybe my labmates....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home