Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

College Bowl
There is a quiz game that clubs on campus could participate in to possibly win money for the club. So Newman entered a team then had to change the people on the team due to scheduling conflicts (yes, we do actually go to classes and practices). So I ended up on the team Tuesday morning when I talked with Eamonn over warm drinks in the NR building (every Tuesday the College of Natural Resources (CNR) has coffee, other hot drinks, and some food stuffs). Besides myself and Eamonn, Jake and Joe were also on the team.

Our first match today was against the Service Center, whom we demolished. I felt bad that we beat them so easily and fully...I think they had a negative score at the end. The second match put us against a more equal foe. We were pretty nervous as the game was close at the half-time and they were getting quite a few questions. However, we ended up winning that match as well.

We had to wait around for awhile to find out if we were in the final or not so Eamonn and Jake got some food while I iced my ankle and the four of us talked. Turns out that we won our division and were in the finals.

The final match went well and we knew that no matter what, we would get a prize. Amazingly, we won the final, which meant we each got an iPod shuffle, a Champions t-shirt, and Newman Club got $500! Not only that, but we didn't have an alternate so we had an extra iPod Shuffle and t-shirt. We decided to all sign the shirt and Jake drew a large cross, wrote Newman on it, and it is now framed and hung in the Newman Center. Of course, I needed a team picture of our team with our prizes (l-r: AS, Jake, Eamonn, and Joe).

Although the champion from the college is supposed to go on to Regionals in the spring, our full team is not allowed because the Regional rules state that only one person may be a graduate student and we had 3 out of 4. So Jake, Joe (grad student), and some guys from a couple of the other teams who were good will be headed to Regionals in the spring to represent Utah State University. And we didn't expect much out of the College Bowl...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home