Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Disappointing People
This coming weekend was supposed to be the Newman Club Grand Canyon Rim to Rim in a day hike. We had 12 people signed up to go: 10 hikers from Newman, a guide (a guy from the parish who has done it twice), and a chase driver (drops hikers off at North Rim and picks up at South Rim). Between Monday and today (Thursday), everyone else who was supposed to hike dropped out (mostly on Wednesday though). I was the only one left with the guide and chase driver. Pete (our guide) was in town anyway (he just transferred to Indianapolis) so he suggested that we go to Zion National Park instead as it made more sense. Really, what's the point of having only 2 people hike the Grand Canyon, one of whom has already done it, and make the chase driver spend ~9 hours in the car going from rim to rim...plus the gas. So even though I was really excited to hike the Grand Canyon in a day, it just didn't make sense to do it this weekend. I'm pretty disappointed in the other people who dropped though...nothing like waiting till the last minute...and every effort was made from the beginning to make sure that everyone understood the conditions of the hike...irresponsible people...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home