Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Monday, August 21, 2006

Newman

I decided to go to noon mass today as it is only a few blocks away at the church connected to the Newman Center. Just before leaving, I read the bulletin from yesterday's mass and saw that a group of people were cleaning the Newman Center today. I ran into the ladies doing the cleaning and asked if they needed/wanted some more help. Of course they didn't refuse the offer. After mass I swept a little then they invited me to join them for lunch downstairs, even though I had barely contributed. Now this was no ordinary lunch. The guy cooking, Joe, apparently really likes to cook (reminds me of Beth). He made spatzle, a Swabian (where I studied in Germany) pasta from scratch, pesto, seasoned tomatoes (to put on the spatzle), sausages, tomatoes on mozzarella, garlic bread and a couple other things. I ate lunch with the 5 or so women and two (?) of their families (kids). After lunch I did earn my lunch by cleaning some more so don't worry. ;-) I also found out that there is a Sunday evening mass during the school year followed by a social/reception thingy...I'm thinking something similar to Oneonta. Although I don't want to be too involved with Newman here (unlike in Oneonta), it will be nice to be a part of such a group again. I wonder how it'll compare to Oneonta....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We Oneontans may not be as cool as Newman kids in Utah...but we are definitely more attractive.
-Erin J

26 August, 2006 11:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home