Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rain
It has finally rained again! Since I've been here (18 August - now), it has only rained one other time. That time we had a good thunderstorm that woke me up and persuaded me to close my window to avoid further wettening of things (on the floor as usual) under the window. I was excited when I saw dark clouds this morning on my way to class but dubious as to whether they would release rain that would make it to the ground. A couple of weeks ago I thought that we would get hit pretty well because there was a really dark storm cloud across the valley to the west of here. Alas, we only got a couple of raindrops from it. Yay for rain! (sorry to you New Yorkers who have had a wee bit much lately...)

Also today, our workstation computers came! Mollie told me that she was in the office/lab when Matt (our advisor) came in, announced that they were in and then promptly left. He is more excited than we are I think. He even named them. Each of the computers is named for a part of a river. So here's some homework: Find out what the names of our computers mean. I already know and can tell you if you are right. The names are: Riparia (Mollie), Rithron (Christy), Potamon (Andy), and Crenon (mine). And no, Potamon is not Pokemon's cousin. The sweetest thing is that we have 2 screens :-D. The extra screen comes in really handy when working with GIS, Matt's class that all of us are in and something we will have to utilize when working on our theses/dissertation. We are blessed to have as our advisor and eachother as his fellow grad students. Already we pick on eachother and generally have fun together. We even make and appreciate corny science jokes...like when Andy said our computers form a meander due to the way in which our workstations are set up. Although we talked a joked for a bit in the lab today, we were also able to switch into work mode without wasting too much time. That's going to really helpful when we have even more work to do (not just the reading we have now). And it'll be fun to take breaks from studying with them. Definitely glad we have the same advisor as it's going to be a blast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home