Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Friday, February 16, 2007

I miss snow
For those of you who have been completely out of the news loop, my hometown has been getting sacked with a ton of snow lately. Starting on Super Bowl Sunday (04 February), Oswego County basically had a week of heavy lake-effect snow (didn't end till Sunday, 11 February). I followed the local news coverage like a teenage girl follows the latest "hot" celebrity guy. The local news even broadcast out of the center of my village on Thursday morning a couple times. The area was covered on the national and international news too. The Weather Channel sent a top meteorologist from Miami to Syracuse before the SuperBowl so that he could cover the storm instead. On Wednesday morning, Good Morning America had their meteorologist in Mexico (NY) and apparently a German news crew was around. Even NPR covered it for several days as I would hear the reports as I lay mostly still asleep in bed in the mornings. One of the local NPR guys spoke to a national announcer from Oswego and a lady in (I think) Parish was called and interviewed. It was cool being able to watch local stuff several days in a row on the AP video page.

Storm totals were incredible: 70" in Central Square, highest: N. Redfield 141"- almost 12 feet! Check out News Channel 9 or The Post-Standard for some cool pictures and news coverage.

Then the Nor-Easter came but didn't leave too much snow in the areas hardest hit by the lake-effect event. Yet it did bring the winds that are now producing more lake-effect snow back home.

I talked with my mom tonight and she said that it's nasty driving out. They received about a foot and a half of snow since last night (14 February). I'm hoping she sends some pictures soon of all the snow.

As you can well imagine, I am very jealous. Not only do I seem to miss all the cool events (train derailing, 2003 storm, etc.), we have had virtually no snow all winter. There is a bit up the canyon but it's clear on the other side and is not great snow for skiing or snowshoeing. I haven't been downhill skiing in about a month, so what good is my pass? The slopes are a bit icy and the snow rather scant in places. There are saplings that are sticking up through the snow in spots that should be buried under a few feet of snow. Unlike back east, they don't make snow out here, it's all natural. So as home digs out from the snow, I must walk through the liquid form.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home