Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Monday, December 18, 2006

Home
I spent last night at Shannon's and she drove me to the airport this morning before work. We were going to have our usual breakfast at IHOP before heading the airport but were thwarted by some strange thing. Apparently the 24 hour IHOP is closed from 10pm Sunday until 06:00 Monday. If the restaurant is closed, then how can it be a 24 hour one? Furthermore, as Shannon pointed out, rush hour in Layton is 06:00 during the week so the restaurant is excluding all of those people as possible customers on Monday mornings. So we went to Einstein Brothers Bagels for bagels that were just not as good as those found in our good ol' state of New York.

My flight out of Salt Lake was delayed because the plane was late coming in from Alaska. While waiting, I heard the lady behind me say something to the effect of, "Is that a goose?" Sure enough, there was a lady walking through the airport holding a live goose. Better yet, the lady was dressed like Mother Goose herself. Neither of us could believe it...that is the craziest thing I have seen in an airport.

Despite the delay in my flight, I was still able to make my connection in Cincinnati fine. I arrived in Rochester before my mom but I didn't have to wait too long till she got there. Then we went and picked up Kaitlin from school since she had finished up her last final earlier in the day. We ended up taking a rabbit home with us, which mom wasn't expecting. Apparently Kait's friend's friend needed someone to watch the rabbit (Pippin!) at the last minute because the person who was supposed to watch him backed out. So Kait's friend offered Kait to watch him, since we had watched a rabbit of a friend of hers over the summer.

It's weird being home again because in some ways it's like you never left. With only being home occasionally, it's like I have two lives. Anyway, the tree is up in the living room and is of decent size. We are going to decorate it tomorrow (Mom's birthday) as a family...I'm sure it's one of those things she wants for her birthday...and since Chris isn't home, it'll have to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home