Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Friday, February 16, 2007

"Parent's Night Out"
Being Valentine's Day (and Sts. Cyril and Methodius), we thought today would be a good night to have a fundraiser that involves watching kids for a few hours so parent's can be free. We had some great things planned like a craft, ping-pong, DDR, a movie, books, healthy snacks, etc. Alas, we only had 3 kids come (one of my students!). Although we broke even on costs, it was a disappointment that we didn't get more kids. We'd love to try it again on a weekend night but we don't know if we have time before spring break. At least I did get to see Joe's pictures from fall break (Grand Canyon and Zion)...definitely some corny ones of me. Father JJ also taught a few of us how to play Hearts (it's a card game). I did better than the two Joe's but I think it's kind of boring. And I wrestled a bit w/ Eric (the football player) and refuse to admit that I "lost". Sure, he had me pinned but I hadn't given up yet. It was called due to interference by Eamonn (who tried giving Eric a wedgie) and Joe R. who pulled Eamonn off Eric then Eric off me. We are so mature.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've almost finished with the rest of the naked pictures.

Maturity is a highly-overrated, rather warped, state of mind. Whenever people start worrying about maturity I like to whip out this quote from one of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis:

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
C.S. Lewis- On Writing for Children

16 February, 2007 15:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home