Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Oktoberfest
(Déjà vu anyone?) Although tempted, I have not returned to Germany for this festive event. Shannon had found a local festival listed in a publication I had grabbed so we decided to check it out together. Now for those who don't know, Shannon was not only my partner in crime in high school, we also hung out for 12 days in Germany on a school trip with our German classes (landschaft...hehehe....).

We were ready a little early so we headed to a Dick's Sporting Goods store that Shannon and her mom had found last week in Salt Lake City. This store is sweet! It is 2 floors with an area in the middle where you can look at the other floor. Plus there is a climbing wall that goes through both floors and to the high ceiling. It is wicked cool. We also got some great deals on a couple items of clothing...real steals actually (metaphorically, not literally, of course).

Oktoberfest was at Snowbird Resort in Little Cottonwood Canyon, 2 miles down the road from Alta and where we had biked to the previous weekend. It was started 34 years ago by a couple of Germans who were inspired by the mountains that looked like home (aka the Alps). And I certainly understand about missing that area and wanting to recreate it as close as possible.
At the entrance (no entrance fee! :-)), there are some vendors selling some things but only 2 had actual German merchandise. I ended up buying a polo shirt with the German flag on the right chest and Deutschland written above it (not Germany! :-)). We also have a brochure for a store that sells lots of German stuff, including chocolate (highly overpriced though). We'll have to check it out sometime.

Mostly we were excited about eating good German food and were not disappointed. Both of us had spaetzle with gravy for lunch. This was real spaetzle too, not just some noodles out of a bag. Mmmm..... It also happens to be a dish native to Swabia, the area I studied in in Germany...so it was doubly exciting for me.

The bands that played were quite good and we enjoyed listening to them even though we didn't have any guys to dance with (nor were any seemingly available to dance) and we couldn't remember the words to the songs (some of which Mr. Breckenridge had taught us). So we want to go back next year, bring some guy friends (whom we can drag or otherwise coerce into dancing), and know the more popular songs.

The big disappointment for me was the crowd. To say the least, the people were dead. Sure they would clap when the same half dozen to a dozen would get up and dance. Yet they wouldn't even participate when one of the bands (really great band) wanted them too. It was pathetic. Completely opposite of the real Oktoberfest where 95%+ of the people are standing on the benches/tables singing, dancing, and drinking. sigh

However, the crowd did consist of quite a few kids so this Oktoberfest is more of a family event. So that's good, but the crowd was still really lame. I'm sure the kids would have a better time if the adults weren't so blah.

Being Oktoberfest, there was beer. Most of the beers were local German ones (made in Utah but in the German way....I think) but there was at least one true German beer being served (Paulaner...not the one I had over there). In Oktoberfest tradition (if you can call it that), I joined Shannon in drinking a beer. We both chose an apricot hefeweizen (lighter color wheat beer) and shared a pretzel that didn't look like the ones in Germany yet still tasted scrumptious. Due to (funny/interesting) Utah laws, beer can not be served in more than 16 ounce servings, which is approximately .5 liters and half of what is served in a real Oktoberfest mass. I still gave Shannon half of my drink and I stand by my first conviction that beer tastes bad. I really only wanted the plastic mug anyway...it says "Prost!" (Cheers!) on the side :-D.

I had a great time and look forward to going again next year. Next weekend, Shannon and I are taking on the Utah State Fair...at the very least, we'll get to see a Rodeo. Yeehaw!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home