Utah Sojourn

My life and experiences while I work towards my MS in Utah.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Gitting, Manyara, Tanzania

Just finished my MS in Watershed Science at Utah State University. Am now embarking on an adventure in Tanzania through the Peace Corps. After 2 months of training, I have just started teaching secondary Chemistry and Physics, which will be for 2 years.

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Snowshoeing with Quinney Prospects
Tonight is a full moon, so it would be awesome to go snowshoeing again tonight under the full moon, like last month. However, I went during the day with some other students and prospective PhD students. I figured the company is a bit different, they needed people to go, and it's supposed to be cloudy tonight. So I joined up with some grad students, including my friends Amy, Christo, and Eamonn, and went snowshoeing with the prospective students in order to help woo them. All of the students are candidates to receive Quinney scholarships, which are a lot of money that you get while you work on your PhD. They are coveted scholarships and you're set with stipend funding for at least 3 years (might be more, I don't quite remember).

First off, we drove through Logan Canyon to the Bear Lake overlook. This allowed us to check the conditions of the snow in the canyon (rather paltry) and let the prospectives see Bear Lake--in all of its frozen over glory...kind of hard to see its turquoise waters under the ice. We narrowed down the many choices of places to snowshoe and decided to go to Temple Fork Sawmill because there wouldn't be any snowmobilers around and it's a pretty easy path. It was a great choice because several of the prospectives are not used to the higher elevation and any more difficult path would probably have been too much. I was even breathing hard during some of it.

The trip was good and I got to meet some new people, both current and prospective students. It'll be interesting to see if I recognize any of them this fall and to see who decided to come here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home